.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Intimacy

Though this site will cover many areas such as relationships, desire, the philosophy of love, my favorite past times - travel and photography, divine contemplation, the idea of personal goals and what success could look like, it will also address the areas of peace and the longing therefor. Visit -- The Intimate Longings Reserve new from the Ihoha Collection.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Complicated but Beautiful

Friday, November 11, 2005

A Note From Eve

Eve Ensler that is.  Yes, she is back with a one-woman show that is a must-see for women:  The Good Body.  As I read the note from Eve (http://thegoodbody.com/note.htm), oh could I ever identify with some of the expressions she uses to relay just how wrapped up most of us women are about our appearance and why it was time for her to speak out for the rest of us.  Just to wet your appetite, here are just a few sentences from the entire note:

In the midst of a war on Iraq, in a time of torture camps and daily bombings, when civil liberties are disappearing as fast as the ozone layer, when one out of three women in the world will be beaten or raped in her lifetime, why write a play about my stomach?

Maybe because my stomach is one thing I feel I have control over, or maybe because I have hoped that my stomach is something I could get control over… When a group of ethnically diverse, economically disadvantaged women in the United States was recently asked about the one thing they would change in their lives if they could, the majority of these women said they would lose weight… Maybe because my stomach has become the repository for my sorrow, my childhood scars, my unfulfilled ambition, my unexpressed rage… Maybe because, as the world rapidly divides into fundamentalist camps, reductive sound bites, and polarizing platitudes, an exploration of my stomach and the life therein has the potential to shatter these dangerous constraints.

The Good Body began with me and my particular obsession with my “imperfect” stomach.  I have charted this self-hatred, recorded it, tried to follow it back to its source…

I have been to more than forty countries in the last six years.  I have seen the rampant and insidious poisoning:  skin-lightening creams sell as fast as toothpaste in Africa and Asia; the mothers of eight-year olds in America remove their daughters’ ribs so they will not have to worry about dieting; five-year olds in Manhattan do strict asanas so they won’t embarrass their parents in public by being chubby; girls vomit and starve themselves in China and Fiji and everywhere…

…I am going to take a deep breath and find a way to survive not being flat or perfect.  I am inviting you to join me, to stop trying to be anything, anyone other than who you are…I was inspired by Marion Woodman, a great Jungian analyst, who gave me confidence to trust what I know.  She has said that “instead of transcending ourselves, we must move into ourselves.”

Tell the image-makers and magazine sellers and the plastic surgeons that you are not afraid.  That what you fear the most is the death of imagination and originality and metaphor and passion.  Then be bold and LOVE YOUR BODY.  STOP FIXING IT.  It was never broken.

Read the entire note; buy the book, and see the play.  It is time to join the Proud, the Few, the Confident.  The information you need is located at http://thegoodbody.com/schedule.htm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Created by Crazyprofile.com
Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com
  • Resources, References & More Links